If global awareness, the arts and refinement are important to you, striving to become better cultured may be something to which you aspire. In fact, those who make an effort to increase the amount of culture in their lives tend to appear well-educated and have a greater understanding of the world around them.
1. Literature is one of the best methods that people use to increase the culture in their lives. While it may initially be hard, read the classics. After you hit the major classical writings, read books by less common but well-respected authors from all over the world.
2. Theater is another excellent means of becoming cultured. Whether you begin by simply reading broadway play reviews or attending small productions by a community theater group, seeing other interpretations of the world will broaden your view of it.
3. While it should go without saying, respectful behavior is an important part of becoming a more well-rounded, cultured individual. Such respect should extend to include religious tolerance, particularly if the religion is vastly different than your own. Those who want to take it a step further will want to learn about a variety of world religions through contact with a variety of people and texts.
4. Being able to recognize 50 great paintings and 50 works of awe-inspiring architecture are also good ways to become more cultured. It is vital to be able to identify great paintings and important buildings for several reasons, the most important of which being the fact that you will be able to discuss such matters in the company of others who can do the same.
5. Being a well-cultured person can extend to every area of your life, including the dinner table. While it is common for youngsters to strongly prefer the foods on which they have been raised, part of gaining culture is trying delicacies from all over the globe. Try food from 25 different countries as you work to increase your level of cultural competency.
Enhancing Cultural Awareness
Improving your cultural awareness is an excellent way to ensure that you can quite literally talk to anyone about virtually anything. Make friends from all over the world, read, see plays, eat delicious food and prepare yourself to be astounded at what you will be able to see, learn and understand because you took the time to do so.